Top 5 Free Text Editors for Windows, Mac, Linux - 2021
5 Free Text Editor's for Windows, Mac, Linux user- 
- Visual Studio Code
Notepad++ is a free text editor based around Scintilla. Notepad++ seeks to optimize as many processes as possible to reduce CPU usage without sacrificing features in order to reduce power usage and create a greener world. As an open-source tool, Notepad++ supports user-made plugins and tutorials.
- Syntax: Supports Syntax Folding and Syntax Highlighting.
- Auto-Completion: Auto-Completion of Words, Functions, and much more.
- Multi-View: Comes with What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG) and multi-view support.
- Plugins: Extensible using plugins.
- User Interface: The UI needs improvements.
Features of Notepad++:
- Syntax highlighting and folding
- PCRE Search/Replace
- Customizable interface Document map
- Multi-language environment supported Macro recording and playback
#2) VISUAL STUDIO CODE
- Languages: Supports 30+ Languages
- Small Size: The small size ensures that quick installation and usage.
- Portable Versions: Portable versions are also available in Visual Studio Code.
- Extension Support: Extension Support needs improvements.
- Updating on Linux: Updating on Linux can be a daunting task
- Syntax highlighting Auto-complete
- Extension library
Atom is an open-source text editor created by GitHub. As an open-source tool, there are a variety of tools and themes available to customize your experience. Atom can also integrate directly with Git and GitHub.
- Free - Atom is open source and free to use
- Tons of packages- Tons of packages to use and CoffeeScript to write packages
- Hackable- Hackable to the core, thanks to the modular design used by the text editor
- Git control- Offers git control and package management features
- Easy- Can be easily picked by a beginner.
- Large files- Cannot handle large files
- Memory- Consumes a lot of memory
- Cross-platform editing
- Built-in package manager
- File system browser
- Multiple panes
- Find and replace
- Web design Powerful text editor with a focus on web design
- Lightweight- It is a lightweight
- UI - It is modern and offers great UI
- Live preview Offers a live preview
- Preprocessor- Preprocessor support and Inline editors
- Extension manager- Comes with the inbuilt extension manager for easy extension management.
- Languages Limited support for only web languages.
- Commands- Not up to par with other text editor commands and functionality.
- In-line editors
- Live preview
- Preprocessor support
Vim is a free text editor based on the vi Unix editor, but contains more complete features such as search and replace and a multi-level undo tree. Users can program or write plain text documents within Vim.
Keyboard -Completely keyboard-based operations supported
Remote coding- Can be used in a remote development environment using a terminal over SSH
Heart's content Vim can be customized to heart's content using .vimrc dotfile and vim script.
Productivity -Enhances productivity and performs great with large files.
Features of VIM:
- Test formatting
- Jump tags
- Automatic commands
- Syntax highlighting Integrated spell check