Free, open source, cross-platform audio software -"Audacity" is now available on the Microsoft store
Audacity is an easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recording tool for Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. It is free, open source software that has been developed by a dedicated community since 1999. The only official version of Audacity is now available on the Microsoft store for free.
The Audacity version listed on the Microsoft Store claims it is “developed by the Muse Group & the Audacity Open-Source Community”. Martin Keary, head of product at Audacity himself has confirmed the version is authentic and comes directly from the company that maintains the platform.
Martin Keary noted that he has finally seen the “proper” version of Audacity published on the Microsoft Store. This particular version is now live on the Microsoft Store. It is free to download and use. In a Tweet about the same, Keary wrote:
Due to the ludicrous number of fake ‘Audacity’ [variants] on the Microsoft store, which charge users for non-functional or very limited applications, I’ve now (finally) taken the name back and have published the proper, free version for the first time.
Audacity is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions for the Windows operating system and is completely free and open source . If you work on other platforms, you can also download it for macOS and Linux from its website.
New features in Audacity 3.1.0
As the company claims that Version 3.1.0 is a release focused on clips and usability and these are the New features of Audacity 3.1.0;
- Recording - Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from other media.
- Export / Import - Import, edit, and combine sound files. Export your recordings in many different file formats, including multiple files at once.
- Sound Quality - Supports 16-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit. Sample rates and formats are converted using high-quality resampling and dithering.
- Plug-ins - Support for LADSPA, LV2, Nyquist, VST and Audio Unit effect plug-ins. Effects can be easily modified in a text editor – or you can even write your own plug-in.
- Editing - Easy editing with Cut, Copy, Paste and Delete. Also unlimited sequential Undo (and Redo) in the session to go back any number of steps.
- Effects - Real-time preview of LADSPA, LV2, VST and Audio Unit (macOS) effects. Plug-in Manager handles plug-in installation and addition/removal of effects and generators from the menus.
- Accessibility - Tracks and selections can be fully manipulated using the keyboard. Large range of keyboard shortcuts.
- Analysis - Spectrogram view mode for visualizing and selecting frequencies. Plot Spectrum window for detailed frequency analysis. Support for Vamp analysis plug-ins.