Windows 11 File Explorer 'Tabs'
Windows 11 Build 25136 is now available to users on the Dev Channel which brings new 'Tabs' to File Explorer and other new features. Now let's take a closer look at these new features here.
With this update, Windows 11 File Explorer received several enhancements with tons of new features including enabling support for highly-anticipated tabs in File Explorer. OneDrive integration and a modern ribbon design. The missing "tab" feature has finally reached testers with a redesigned sidebar.
If you're on the Dev Channel and haven't seen the tabs, don't be surprised right away. As Microsoft announced in its blog post that it has taken a new step to enable tabs in Explorer, but for now, the company wants to test the tabs with a small group of users.
Tabs in File Explorer are one of the features Microsoft has been exploring for Windows since at least 2017. As some of you may remember, they tried a similar try in 2017 with the "Windows Sets" feature.
However, Tabs were intended to reach Settings, Control Panel and File Explorer, and more, but were not expected. Microsoft eventually canceled the project and decided to focus on fixing Edge by migrating it to the Chromium engine. However, the sets feature is not coming back, but File Explorer is getting a lot of improvements.
Microsoft has fixed some issues as usual. Most importantly, an issue that could cause increased lag or stuttering in games when using V-Sync has been completely fixed. As this update is still on Dev Channel, there is still some time for features and other innovations to reach end-users.
What’s new in Windows 11 Build 25136?
#1) File Explorer Tabs and Navigation Updates
2) Dynamic Widgets in the Taskbar
Windows 11 Build 25136 new features:
- Microsoft now lets you report animated gifs if you find them inappropriate within the emoji panel.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue leading to PCs being erroneously detected as tablets. This bug accidentally enabled compact mode and disable a feature that lets you hide checkboxes in File Explorer.
- Microsoft fixed an issue that causes the SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION bug check in recent Dev Channel builds.
- Microsoft fixed an issue where taskbar apps overflow with the system tray icons.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue where when you hover on an app the notification will no longer flash.
- Microsoft has fixed an issue where Start can only show one column of recommended items.
- You can now easily pin a large number of apps to Start.
How to install Windows 11 Build 25136?
- Signup for Windows Insiders Program.
- Open the Settings page.
- Switch to Dev Channel.
- Click on “Check for updates“ and select “Download & Install”.
- Click on “Restart now”.